We successfully made it through week 1! And I am so thankful to have had a wonderful first week at CDS! Thank you!
Remember, if you have any questions, concerns, or comments to share, please email me at email@example.com!
Also, follow our classroom on Instagram @EnglishwithmsK
Now it is time to tackle week 2! Here is what is on deck:
- We will start the week off with a pre-test of your first spelling list! The goal of this pre-test is to show YOU where YOU need to grow this week and what you need to practice the most. By Friday, you must complete your spelling assignment & be prepared to take your weekly spelling assessment. The weekly assignment will be outlined in class, but is also available on the CDS 9 tab. This assignment will remain the same each week you have a spelling list!
- Check out this page to see how to set up your spelling assignments!
- During class you will also get a chance to share your introductory paragraph with your first public speaking assignment. You will use Flip Grid to record yourself and post into the class assignment.
- For homework, you will log into http://www.commonlit.org and read “War of the Wall” and answer the respective questions. Come prepared to class on Day 2 this week to discuss the story!
- How to long in to CommonLit
- Go to http://www.commonlit.org
- Use the Google Sign In option & your CDS Email
- Create a Password
- *This is already linked to our Google Classroom so make sure your google classroom is up to date if yo had a class change!
- How to long in to CommonLit
- We will start class by discussing the reading from the evening before in small and large groups. There will be NO Homework!
- Class will be in the LIBRARY!
- We will complete another quick CommonLit reading of the poem “Burning A Book” and I will be introducing a mini project. Look here for more information as the week proceeds.
- Your homework will be to study your spelling words! Test on Day 4!
- We will be in the LIBRARY one more day! By the end of class you will have chosen your first independent reading book!
Again, more information about the project and assignment will come later in the week.Click here to access the directions for your independent reading project for quarter 1.
Next week we will begin to pre-read for “Of Mice & Men”!
12th Grade Brit Lit
- In class we will read Teaching 1984 in 2016, and annotate it together. I will hand out annotation book marks and discuss how to annotate our first book “1984” by George Orwell.
- Annotations will be checked each Friday throughout this unit for a grade.
- We will answer the following questions in small groups and then discuss it as a whole class:
- What defines a totalitarian state?
- Why does this instructor turn his classroom into a ‘totalitarian’ state? What are the results of his endeavors? How are traditional classroom structures already totalitarian in design?
- Why does the instructor teach this text? Why do you think we are reading it?
- Your homework will be read Chapters 1 & 2 (pages 5-27) and annotate them. Come to class prepared to participate in a class discussion about the text.
Day 2/ Tuesday:
- We will use class time to discuss the first two chapters and to begin reading Chapters 3 & 4 together. Your homework will be to finish reading the chapters. There WILL BE a reading quiz on chapters 1-4 on Thursday.
- Reading quiz will be at the beginning of class! If you are late you will need to make it up at lunch!
- Together we will read and discuss “I am very real” by Kurt Vonnegut.
- I will introduce discussion questions and how to create them, what is a good one, what is not a great one, etc.
- Your homework will be to read chapters 5-7 and to answer 2 discussion questions that will be your starter for the discussion on Friday.
- Together we will have a student led discussion on chapters 5-7.
- Your homework over the weekend will be finish Book 1 (which is through Chapter 8) and prepare for a reading quiz on chapters 5-8 that will be given on Monday.