SENIORS & FRESHMEN:
This is the LAST week before your summative assessment for your respective units. This means if you have work that you owe me from 1984 or Of Mice & Men it must be turned in by FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 28, 2018 3PM or it will REMAIN a zero in the grade book forever as per my syllabus!
Pardon that interruption, now onto our regularly scheduled weekly breakdown:
- It is time to finish this book! So, in class today, we will read Chapter 5, and discuss as we go. You will have the option to also complete reading questions. But they will not be required.
- You will also have a pre-test for spelling list number four! As in the past, the practice & test will be on Day 4 of this week. This week the test will include word meanings!
- There will be no homework unless we do not finish reading in class.
- We will FINISH Of Mice & Men in class! Are you ready for an epic ending?!?!?!
- For homework you will need to create three discussion questions for the socratic seminar that we will have on Day 3. These three questions need to be different types, as outlined on the “Effective Questions for Effective Discussions” worksheet found on Google Classroom. (i.e., you should not have three evaluate questions!) You will post these questions on Google Classroom in the appropriate document and have them handwritten for class.
- As you prepare for the socratic seminar, you may want to think about the following questions:
o What was learned on this journey by the main characters?
o How was this a journey?
o How does conflict divide individuals?
o How do individuals overcome obstacles?
o What is empathy?
o How can a positive/negative community help/hurt a member of it?
- Just as we did on Day 3 last week, we will have a socratic seminar, but this time it will cover the ENTIRE book!
- Your homework will be to reflect on the socratic seminar. This will be found on Google Classroom.
- We will use our final class day as a review day for the unit test that you will have on Monday. Look here later in the week to find a study guide.
As always, IF you have ANY questions or concerns, reach out to me via email, at lunch/break, before school, or after school!
12th Grade/British Literature
We will use as much class time as possible this week to finish 1984! There will be minimal reading at home!
- We will start class with your Citizenship presentations! I cannot wait to see your products!
- Then we will begin reading Book 3: Chapter 1. What we don’t finish in class will be homework.
- We will Tackle Book 3: Chapter 2 together in class!
- For homework you need to remember to show up to the library on Thursday for class.
- We will use the ambiance of the library to help us read Book 3: Chapter 3 together!
- For homework I am asking that you read Book 3: Chapter 4, which is a whopping 6 pages…real hard…I know.
- And finally, we will read Book 3: Chapter 5…the final chapter!