You made my first week back one to be remembered. You worked HARD and created some great stories and presentations. I cannot wait to see how this semester continues!
In both 9th & 12th grade English, we accomplished a lot and the same will go with this upcoming weeks, so buckle up and get ready to ride!
- We will begin class with a QUIZ on nouns. We spent a lot of time last week learning about nouns and how they are used in sentences. Now it is time to show me how much you learned.
- You can find study materials by either following this link or by going to CDS 9 > Grammar Study Packs > Study Pack: Nouns
- ^ You’re welcome! The plan is to make a TON of these are we move through grammar this year.
- Then we will learn about verbs and the different types of verbs you can find, i.e., helping, linking, and action verbs1
- Finally, we will finish the class with a mini Socratic seminar based on your reading of the joint statement from the United Nations on ending the use of child soldiers.
- Just like last week, we will start the last three days of class with grammar activities. So, on Day 2, we will focus on actions verbs by completing a NoRedInk assignment!
- Then we will learn about our new book A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. You will get your copy of the book and also find out the members of your literature circle.
- Follow this link to find the homepage for our book study! This includes a copy of your book, a link to a listening option, and all of your literature circle documents.
- For homework, you will number the first 50 pages of your book.
- When you walk in, you will practice action & linking verbs through a race of sorts. Come prepared with a notebook and a pen, and an understanding of these two verb types!
- Then we will FINALLY begin reading our new book. The plan is to listen to chapter one and to make predictions about how the story will play out in the coming weeks.
- Another day, another grammar practice. This week you will end the week by completing a worksheet on helping verbs.
- Then I will introduce you to our Independent reading project for this quarter. Your goal will be to walk out of class with a book and a reading plan. By Monday, you will need to submit a reading plan to Google Classroom.
- As we get further into the week, details will be found on the quarter three independent reading page found via this link. OR by going to CDS 9 > Quarter Three Independent Reading.
- You will also need to study over the weekend and begin reading for your first literature circle which will happen on day 2 of next week.
Seniors! It’s time to start Serial…finally!
Monday we will complete a set of stations to get you into the mind of the characters. Then on Tuesday, we will listen to the first episode. Depending on how quick we start on Tuesday, you may have a few minutes to finish for homework. You will also write a reflection that will be due on Thursday when you return to class. On Thursday we will listen to episode two, which you will finish listening to for homework.
Friday will be our FIRST Coffee House! I cannot wait to hear about your books and all that you are learning! Remember, the rubric, directions, template, and prompts are on Google Classroom!